There are a lot of things that can go wrong with your locks. They can become worn down and no longer work properly, or they can be damaged in some way. When this happens, it’s important to determine if you need to rekey your locks or change them altogether. So, which is better? And when should you do it? Keep reading this post by our Locksmith Newstead to find out!
Why Rekey Your Locks?
/The first thing you should consider is rekeying your locks. This means changing the tumblers inside so *that they no longer work with the old key, but instead only work with a new one. There are many reasons why this may be preferable to replacing them outright by a Locksmith Newstead:
- It’s less expensive than getting all-new locks installed on your doors.
- You can get it done in less time than having a whole lock replaced. In fact, most lock technicians can change out just about any residential or commercial door knob and deadbolt for as little as 15 minutes per lock! (This is also much faster than waiting several hours at home while someone comes over).
- Rekeying is a great way to update your locks if you have recently moved into a new home and don’t have any copies of the previous owner’s keys.
Read More About: How To Remove Rust From A Lockset
When Should You Rekey Your Locks?
There are some times when it is definitely necessary to rekey your locks by a Locksmith Newstead:
- If you lose your key, especially if it falls into the hands of someone who shouldn’t have access to your property.
- If you move into a new home and want to make sure that no one else has keys to your place.
- If you suspect that someone may have copied or stolen your key somehow.
- If there is evidence of forced entry (even if the locks themselves don’t appear to have been tampered with).
Why Change Your Locks?
There are also times when it may be a better idea to change your locks altogether by a Locksmith Newstead:
- If your locks are very old and worn down, they may not be as secure as newer models.
- If you have had a break-in or some other type of security breach, it’s best to replace all of your locks for added peace of mind.
- If you experience repeated lockouts (due to lost keys, for example), it might be time for an upgrade.
Read More About: How To Deal With Door Locks That Don’t Work
When Should You Change Your Locks?
Just like with rekeying, there are certain situations when it is definitely advisable to change your locks via a Locksmith Newstead:
- If you have just moved into a new home, it’s always a good idea to install new locks for added security.
- If you lose your key often, or if someone else has access to your property and you don’t want them having control over your locks, it might be time for a change.
- If you experience repeated break-ins or vandalism on your property, changing your locks should be one of your top priorities.
It can be tough deciding whether rekeying or changing locks is the right solution for your specific situation. But by weighing the pros and cons of each option, you can make an informed decision that will keep your family and belongings safe.